Potassium Monopersulfate Compound
Potassium monopersulfate compound (Synonyms: potassium
peroxymonosulfate)is a free-flowing, white granular solid, soluble
in water. It is presentas a component of a triple salt including
potassium monopersulfate, potassiumbisulfateand potassium sulfate
with the formula 2KHSO5KHSO4K2SO4. Theoxidation potential of this
compound is derived from its peracid chemistry.
The compound providespowerful non-chlorine oxidation for a wide
variety of industrial and consumeruses. It’s applications may be
found in oral hygiene formulations, pooland spa shock and
disinfections, paper recycling, printed circuit boardetching, wool
shrink proofing, laundry bleaches, precious metal
The compound is an important auxiliary agent in organic
synthesisfor oxidizing plenty of organics and functioning as the
epoxy oxidizerof the twin bonds of organic chemicals. It’s also a
free radicle introductoryagent in many polymeric reactions.
Potassium peroxymonosulfate can beused to oxidize hydrogen sulfide
(H2S) and other reduced sulfur compounds,such as mercaptans,
sulfides, disulfides, and sulfites in waste watertreatment.
It’s also an oxygen releasing agent in aquiculture and
lowtemperature bleaching agent in detergent formulations.
- Swimming Pool Shock and Spa
Potassium monopersulfate can be added to pool waterday or night,
and swimming caroat, oxone, virkoncan resume after a short waiting
period toallow for adequate mixing and dispersion throughoutthe
pool. No mixing is required; potassium monopersulfateis completely
soluble in water and dissolves quickly.
Broadcast monopersulfate shock slowly and uniformly over the
surface of the water,adding about two-thirds of the total doseover
the deep end.Shock with the filter running to ensure complete
mixingand good circulation.Potassium monopersulfate is aversatile
oxidant. It oxidizes aldehydes to carboxylicacids; in the presence
of alcoholic solvents, theesters may be obtained.
Internal alkenes may be cleavedto two carboxylic acids, while
terminal alkenes maybe epoxidized. Thioethers give sulfones,
tertiaryamines give amine oxides, and phosphines give
phosphineoxides. It will also oxidize a thioether to a sulfonewith
2 equivalents. With one equivalent the reactionconverting sulfide
to sulfoxide is much faster thanthat of sulfoxide to sulfone, so
the reaction canconveniently be stopped at that stage if so
The advantages to use Potassium Monopersulfate insmimming pools
- Maximum disinfection efficiency caused by oxidizingproperties,
- Restores water cleanliness and transparency,
- Suitable for all types of swimming pools, spas,bathtubs,
- Significantly improves chlorination efficiencythrough quick
oxidization of organic contaminants,
- Very quick action facility is ready touse after 15 minutes,
- Harmless to swimming pool surfaces, causes nobleaching or
discolouration of painted and vinyl-coatedsurfaces,
- No irritating odour, does not cause allergy asit contains no
chloride, aldehydes, alcohol,
- Has no impact on water hardness.
- Microetching and cleaning of printed wiring/circuit board (PWB)
- For PWB industry, microetch solutions used to removeexcess graphite
and/or carbon black may be based onhydrogen peroxide or sodium
persulfate as the oxidizingagent. For example, a sodium
persulfate-based productmay be combined with sufficient sulfuric
acid to makea microetch bath containing 100 300 grams of
sodiumpersulfate per liter of deionized water and about1 to 10% by
weight sulfuric acid. but nowadays, technicalpeople find that
potassium monpersulfe could be usedas very good solution as it
contains required oxideizer,sulfuric acid as one step solution.
- Wool Shrinkproofing
- Potassium Hydrogen Persulfate is more commonly knownname as an
oxidizer for wool shrinkproofing treatment.It is in the form of a
granule, easily dissolved,and an aqueous solution contains the
dissolved oxidizeris stable for sotrage at a temperature of 32
centigrade.a -S--S-bond is stopped at substantially
- Odor control agent in wastewater treatment
- Bleach component in denture cleanser and laundry formulations
- Activator in antimicrobial compositions
- Other uses where its combination of powerful oxidation and relative
Learn more about potassium monopersulfate
- Application in disinfectant (availableas both tablet or powder
- What is Oxygen Shock?
- Application in Microetchingand cleaning of printed wiring/circuit
- Tablet Form product of Potassium Monopersulfate and formulation.
Material Safety DataSheet
Swimming pool &spa sanitizing